bollywood news

A1

'It was now or never for me and SRK'

Eyebrows were raised when Shah Rukh Khan decided to produce and act in Ram Gopal Varma's new social-fantasy, loosely based on Time Machine. However, the director is neither defensive nor aggressive -- he is just amused.
"Why should it bother people if Shah Rukh produces a film for me? The minute Shah Rukh offered to produce the film, I agreed. Some people might think it may restrict my freedom, I disagree," Varma said.
"In fact, I think it gives me more freedom since I can forget about production hassles for once and just concentrate on directing. I am writing the script for the film. Shah Rukh will be my actor and producer.

"Just who produces the film makes no difference. These are just technicalities. Who makes the film isn't important either. The film is."
During 2006, Varma goes from Amitabh Bachchan in Nishabd to the untitled film with Shah Rukh.
"Yes, I guess that's true. Shah Rukh and I have been in discussion for a long time. I guess it was now or never."
Is it true the story of the film is based on Time Machine, just like Harry Baweja's Love Story 2050?
"There is an element of time shift in my film. It is set in three time zones... the past, present and future. I have no idea what Harry's story is. But this is an unnecessary controversy.
"Harry met me. I told him there are about 50 films in Hollywood based on Time Machine. Films don't work on plots. They work on narrative and characters and how a plot is constructed."
Varma laughs off rumours that Kareena Kapoor walked out of Baweja's film to work with him and Shah Rukh.
"That sounds rather far-fetched. I guess the journalists who wrote this must have a more fertile mind than my scriptwriters at the Factory.
"To my knowledge Kareena left Harry's film long before I signed her. I am not concerned with why she left Harry's film. It is her choice. I am pretty sure my film and Harry's are totally different films."
Varma raves about both his stars.
"Kareena is someone I wanted to work with for a while. I offered her a couple of my earlier films but it didn't work out. She is just right for the part. I required someone like her. The Shah Rukh film suits her completely. As for Shah Rukh, I want to project him in a light that hasn't been attempted before."
Varma says his film is not a sci-fi flick.
"I'd term it a social-fantasy. It's a kind of adventure-action entertainer. It's too unique in concept to describe. I don't think it has any genre or reference point. Shah Rukh and I couldn't be doing something routine. Not after waiting so long to work together."

 

blogger templates |